C: A Christmas Craft Tradition to Share



I am not especially "crafty." I love arts and crafts (don't all children?), but to call me "artistic" or "talented" craftwise is a stretch. Still, our creative juices seek outlets, don't they? Whether they are very high-grade creativities or not. And I find that it is the crafty activities that lend themselves to capturing personal family memories.

When my son was small I developed the habit of keeping up with significant events through the year. I have used a calendar for this or a list in my Bible where I would see it frequently and add to it as things occurred. Along toward Christmas, I would take myself to the craft store, buy the largest plain ornament I could find, and white, green and red paint pens. At the top of the ornament, I printed my son's name and the year. Then all over the ornament I would print the "happenings" of the year.

These are not the most beautiful ornaments we have. But every year when we decorate the tree, my son stops to read each of his memory ornaments and remember the good times and bad. "This is the year I starred in the Peter Pan play!" "Oh, I remember Chuck falling from the horse and breaking his arm!" "Look! This is the year we went to San Francisco!"

I thought I would share this with you because it is a cheap, easy (even I can do this) way to grab memories for years to come. It is a lot of "bang" for a little buck. And, just think: when your child grows up and leaves home, he can take with him a box full of memories to hang on his own tree! And, if I ever get any grandkids (!) I plan to continue this tradition for them! C

PS - Yes, it did occur to me to add pictures of my own "memory balls," but they are STILL in the attic! We are planning a special tree-trimming night when my niece and nephews arrive, so the ornaments won't come down for another week or so...so just close your eyes and imagine! You get the picture...

Comments

KathyB. said…
A very creative idea, and you are right, a lot of bang for your buck!I know that would be an ornament I would cherish forever...as would anyone who loves a tangible memory of happy times and celebrations.
Sumandebray said…
Great idea to collect memorable incidents of life, particularly childhood...... they are all the more usefull when as we grow older.
Only the other day I was trying to remember the major events running up to adulthood and was obviously at a loss!
Anonymous said…
That is a marvelous idea. It is too late now for me to do that, but I am going to share it with others. I do have a few that my kiddos made when little but there was no plan to them.Thanks for sharing.
QMM
Jody Blue said…
Ditto on the Queens comment. My kids are nearly all grown. But this I will pass on to our oldest so she can start for her family. Thanks for sharing!!
Zuzana said…
That is a beautiful tradition and such a lovely sentiment. I love it and might start a tradition like that too.;)) This is why my drawers are full of old calenders, I love to go through the dates and see what important happenings were written down.;)
xo
Zuzana

PS: My verification word is;
andel
This means *angel* in my language...
carla said…
Brilliant idea. Thanks so much. Have you thought of submitting it to oneprettything.com ?

I'll be doing this one for our grandsons.
Anita said…
Hey girl, what a great idea you had. Kids really love that sort of thing. It also goes to show that being creative does not have to be limiting. You can be creative in many ways. Good on you! Kind regards, Anita.
Anonymous said…
What a GREAT idea, C. Hopefully, we'll see some of them when you take pictures of your decorated tree!? :)
Lucy said…
What a nice tradition to have started. Hopefully generations down will continue.
jan said…
Great idea! Thanks for sharing it!
jayne said…
I am a grandmother with 5 small grandchildren 7 years old and under. I think I will use this idea before Christmas this year. I'll invite them over to help grandpa and I to decorate our tree. A great tradition to start while they are little.
Thanks, Jayne
Oh what a wonderful idea! I love Christmas ornaments and the memories each one brings! Love this post. blessings,Kathleen
Unknown said…
Dear C,

My heart ached for you and what you have gone through. I found you post from Suzanne's blog. Love reading about you and V. I am going through a similiar situation that you have, leaving out the cheating part. Just neglect. People do care. Your MIL has to be a dear. Keep looking forward! Wanna Be Farmer

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by K: Whirlwinds of Change & a New Normal

C: A Chili Dog and Country Life

C: Lessons on a Bridge