C: Can One Have “New Traditions?”

traditionI mean, Merriam-Webster defines tradition as:

a way of thinking, behaving, or doing something that has been used by the people in a particular group, family, society, etc., for a long time

So, is the term “new tradition” an oxymoron? (Dn. “oxymoron” is: a combination of contradictory or   incongruous words such as cruel kindness…my own suggestions are honest lawyer--I can self-deprecate-- or internal revenue service….but I digress.

We just had our first Thanksgiving Dinner of the season.  Today, Thanksgiving proper, it was Son, MIL and me.  The three of us had our own not-so-little feast so that we would have all those luscious leftovers.  And I think I may have started a “new tradition.” 

Fine Cooking had this recipe for mashed carrots.  Being a carrot-lover, I tried, it and we all loved it.  I am taking it tomorrow to Sister’s house for all my family to enjoy.  I thought some of you might enjoy it, too:

Carrot Mash with

Orange and Mint

Serves 4-6 (generous)

2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces.

Kosher salt

1 oz (2 Tbs) butter

2 Tbs. heavy cream (mmmmm)

2 Tbs olive oil

1 1/2 Tbs. finely-chopped fresh mint

1/2 tsp. finely grated orange zest or more to taste.

Splash of Tabasco

Boil the carrots until tender, with salt.  When easily-pierced with fork, drain into colander and let the steam rise for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, heat butter, cream, oil, mint, zest, 1/2 tsp salt and a dash of Tabasco in sauce pan over low heat until the butter is melted. Dump in the carrots.

For rustic texture (which is what I did), use potato masher until you get the consistency you like (I ended up added a tad more cream).

You can also put carrots through food processor before adding to the other ingredients to get the smoothest texture, as shown in the picture.

I’m tellin’ ya, this is scrumptious, and mine had a much richer orange color than this picture depicts.

I will be doing this one again.count your blessings

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day and counted all your blessings.

--C

PS.  You should go to the Fine Cooking link above and create an account.  I’m loving their recipes and the “recipe box” feature.

Comments

Country Girl said…
I definitely think you can have new traditions. Traditions were started being new, right? I am actually in the process of starting new ones which is why I am more inclined to believe it to be so. Ha.
Sooo glad you posted this carrot dish because I am getting tired of the same-old I've been bringing to Thanksgiving at my SIL's house. They were all huge hits when I first began bringing them several years ago but have since become boring and I was actually looking for new recipes when I came home last night. Carrots were on the top of my list! So thank you ~
Country Girl said…
And ps - Happy Thanksgiving!
Vee said…
Oh that recipe sounds so good that I had to pin it...if that is a problem, let me know and I will remove it...

I appreciated your discussion. I found that your thinking went in a different direction from what I was anticipating. It must have been the carrots!

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by K: Whirlwinds of Change & a New Normal

C: A Chili Dog and Country Life

C: Lessons on a Bridge