V: And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoon


In another time, a fantasy life if you will, I could have been a china merchant in a quaint little shop that specialized in antiques but did NOT smell musty! Only fellow dishaholics like Suzan of the oldgreymareprimitives.blogspot.com could understand. It was her recent post about her "white bowl love" that inspired me to write this post!

I love old things; objects that others have owned and passed on that have a history to them. I love vintage dishes--I have lots of dishes and glassware passed down from family members and acquired on the cheap at thrift shops. I wish I had time to entertain so I could really use them more, but they are eye candy to me! I covet English white ironstone, brown transferware, and Johnson Bros. Friendly Village. I adore French Quimper pottery, Polish pottery, the ever humble but charming Blue Willow, and the rainbow assortment of Fiestaware (although I don't have any YET. I fondly recall my late mother-in-law's set of lovely pine cone china that graced the table every Thanksgiving and Christmas--they weren't expensive, but were very special! So far they have eluded me, but someday I WILL find that pattern on Ebay! Teapots, cookie jars, honey pots, bowls and pitchers and English tins are another obsession of mine. When my mother moved to an assisted living center last summer I brought home the few remaining pieces of her wedding dishes--Franciscan's Starburst pattern. It is so quintessential 1950's vintage and I'm amazed at how contemporary they seem.



I want to be a better steward, buying more of what I really need instead of what I really want, so because they take up so much room, I've given up acquiring anymore stuff. Unless it's a fantastic bargain that I absolutely cannot live without, I'm passing it by! As a friend told me, "don't buy it unless it calls your name!" The cookie jar collection has been relegated to the top of the blue cupboard that serves as my linen closet in the laundry room, because there is absolutely no room at the inn, in my kitchen.









My favorite finds are floral patterns with a crazed finish from years and years of use--the humble everyday kind. Hey, a bargain at the thrift shop with a chip or crack or a little crazing to the finish, just makes it more interesting to me! The two beautiful ivory floral pieces I have from my great-grandparent's farm are in my china cupboard. I'm afraid the cat will knock them off the table, so they spend most of their time safely behind glass. An old teacup and a bowl are all that remain of the set.





I also have their old wooden bread board that my grandmother told me was used to roll out homemade biscuits three times a day! Can you imagine having the time to make biscuits three times a day? I found it retired, laying in my grandmother's attic many years ago, and because I imagine mice crawled all over it, I've never been able to bring myself to use it! Not even after cleaning it with bleach. Too bad she didn't hang it safely in her kitchen so I wouldn't imagine it all yuckky! I'm no germaphobe, but believe me the attic in that old house was really yuckky!


So, I am just wondering what is YOUR favorite dish pattern? Perhaps your wedding china, or a pattern of your grandmother's that you remember fondly?

Comments

Ayak said…
I had a lovely coffee set which was very art deco. It belonged to my grandmother. It was a zigzag type of pattern in turquoise and yellow and the cups were a conical shape. I passed them on to my daughter when I moved here...along with various other dishes and pots. I couldn't risk them getting damaged...but I do miss them.
I love blue dishes. I have some "Blue Danube" which I mix with other blue & white dishes. Of course, you've got me interested in Polish pottery! Yes, I could get carried away! c
I love Mason Vista red and white pattern... bought an entire set for This Old House. I've never been a dish person, but this set spoke to me in a vintage shop.

And oh, how I hate that musty smell!! I know what you mean..
KathyB. said…
Blue dishes..Blue Willow, Blue Danube ( my china pattern), Blue Onion. Do you see a pattern here?y mother's favorite was Currier and Ives, a blue dish too.

Go ahead and use that wonderful bread board. Maybe after using it a few times you will wear off the mouse image and be able to embrace it as your favorite bread board with special memories~
happyone said…
I too love old things and have collected many things over the years. One of my favorite collections is my Fiestaware. I've collected it for years and have many pieces. I like the 6 original colors. I use mine as my every day dishes.
Vee said…
My favorite dish pattern is the Friendly Village set that I inherited from my paternal grandmother. She very carefully collected her set through the years usually by asking anyone going to Canada to pick her up a piece. They could be purchased much less pricily there. All of her friends and family added to the collection for Christmas, birthdays, etc. None of my aunts cared for the dishes nor did my mother. It was well known that I loved them and so my aunt passed them on to me. I used them once fall has truly arrived and through the Christmas season. I love the enchanting scenes of the passing seasons.

The idea that your friend gave you about not purchasing something unless it really calls your name is perfect. I've been trying to follow it myself.
Vee said…
I use them...no pass tense there...
KathySue said…
I am also in the "if I don't need it or really love it" I won't buy it mode! Clutter has really started to get on my nerves! Moving people who have LOTS of "stuff" will do that to you:)

But, I do have some special things that make me smile. One of them is a green glass pitcher that was "maw maw"'s and the few pieces of pink depression glass. I also love the green depression glass, but I don't have any.

I like being able to put a special plate on a plate stand and then change it according to my mood - so I have several decorative plates that I bought for that purpose. Some are seasonal...an autumn plate, a christmas plate; and others are just designs that caught my eye. My hubby even notices when I change the plate...and laughs.
Tanna said…
I enjoy such a love affair with dishes, it would be impossible to choose one for my favorite... the LATEST pattern I love is Josephine by Crate and Barrel... I'm even WORSE with old silverware and flatware!
V. Remember that is what there are just things to enjoy while in this world. I don't know of anyone being able to take their possessions with them. Why bother when you are going to a place where the streets are gold. I learned first hand fire destroys all things.
ID
Vee said…
Oh lovely! I DID read here. LOL!
Jody Blue said…
Oh goodness I have the same affliction!!! I love the old,worn, and the loved. I have a set of Colonial Homestead by Royal that was given to my Mom when our home burned, when I was 5. My other favorite is a childs musical tea set from my child hood.
Unknown said…
I housesat once for a friend who had Fiesta, and I totally fell in love. Turns out, there were five original, Depression-era Fiesta plates left from my Mama Helen (great, great grandmother), and I was able to get them from my mother. When it came time to register for my wedding, I was already set on Fiesta, and I'm so glad I did. One of my favorite things is that Homer Laughlin is the only china company that still produces in the U.S. (at least, I believe that's true). That really fits well with my family's values.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by K: Whirlwinds of Change & a New Normal

C: A Chili Dog and Country Life

C: Lessons on a Bridge