C: "Not My Chicken" - Blogging and Chickens and Technology and Kids

First, the disclaimer: I am not the photographer for these pix…they are Word clipart. Sadly, I have no poultry to photograph.

I am fairly new to blogging, but what I am finding is that it is a valuable resource for me in several ways: it gives me a “rant” outlet (you readers have been so kind and tolerant of those), it is informational—I am learning so much as I read what you other bloggers write, and, last but certainly not least, you inspire me to think (maybe overthink) and to share my musings. I have become so very interested in the lives of those I read about in the blogs, and you are kind enough to indicate you care about what I write! The connection is wonderful!

Now, at the risk of revealing how very random my mind can be, I thought I’d share my thought processes from reading blogs this morning (when I should be getting ready for work)! One of my favorite places to visit is 3 Acre Homestead. You can visit, too, by clicking the link in our list of blogs we follow, to the right. One of you guys is going to have to teach this boomer how to put links in text soon…

Anyway, I read it this morning—a post done at 3:46 am! (Gotta love those early-risin’ farmgirls!). The author was speaking of her poultry, ”Khaki Campbells.” A Google search tells me that these are ducks, not chickens, as I had supposed upon reading. I don’t think this is a “Khaki Campbell” (who knows!) but here’s a duck for you:


Any way, speaking of a mama and her ducklings, Barbara said, “It is amazing how much smarter they are than the ones raised by a human.” And off went my mind. Of course, this is the case! The ducks raised in a natural way, apparently, do better than those raised by the artifice of humans.

This touched a nerve with me. As a family law attorney, I am seeing effects daily of raising our young ‘uns by artifice. No longer do kids run out the door for a day filled with fun in the sun. I am seeing young folk dying of boredom, sitting at the television or Wii or other game device (and getting into trouble) during a season which as kids V and I anticipated eagerly as a time of freedom-romping outside. Check out the very first two posts V and I did about stickhorses and outside play—click on the label “stickhorses” to see them. Sitting inside on a day off from school would have been unthinkable to us, television or no…

Am I sounding like an old codger yet? Probably. I’m just thinking that the artifices of technology are just not the best way to raise kids. And, having said that, I realize, too, the challenges of modernity, which include single-parenting and the need for two incomes.

Sigh, what’s the world coming to? Now that’s a codger statement if I ever heard one!

Anyway, let’s take this random-thought thing full-circle back to chickens!!!

The illsutration below is not my chicken, but I wish it was…


Poulty-keeping is one of the projects my mother-in-law and I want to undertake.

This is not my chicken, but I wish it was…


It will be a challenge (yet another!), and I’m sure I’ll be calling on bloggers like 3-acre-farmgirl for advice. What about coops and pens? Do chickens get sick? The questions are endless...

This is not my chicken, but I wish it was…


Anyway, thanks to you bogger/followers who read this. You are a source of inspiration for me (and of chicken information!). And if you’ve made it this far in this winding, twisting post, bless you and thank you so very much for being my ear and my outlet!! - C

PS - There was more random thinking...on "safe nesting"...inspired by that single 3-acre statement but I have restrained myself and will save it for yet another rant...

Comments

Anonymous said…
What beautiful chickens. If you saw my two paintings of chickens on my blog you know they are wonderful to paint. We started with the easy longhorn chicken and then did a colorful one, I don't know the name of. Good luck on your chicken raising. Blessings for this weekend.
QMM
Leslie said…
I just recently got my first four chicks. I have wanted to raise chickens for many, many years and have talked about it for just as long. Two days into it and I already know I am going to love raising them. The blog world is fairly new to me too but has been an amazing resource for this beginning semi-urban homesteader-to-be. I say just go for it!
Anonymous said…
WOW! Thanks for the kind words about my blog. Having Chickens and Ducks are so much fun and It will be my pleasure to help out with advice if needed. I decided on Khaki Campbells for ducks as they have eggs the size of a large chicken egg and while wonderful for baking they taste like a chicken egg. My post are so early because as a farmgirl I have to do chores before taking off for the city to work. Have a wonderful day.
Juri said…
What a great blog! I have had chickens for the past ten years and would never want to be without. The fresh eggs each day, the wonderful sound of the rooster each morning, and the fun of watching their antics....things I could not imagine being without.
Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I just loved visiting here...there is so much to read...I didn't get through! Will come back with a cup of coffee and sink in a spell. Chickens are just one of the easiest and most fun things to raise. My mornings would never be the same without Gideion or Gabriel crowing to wake me up. I have just started selling eggs.....and stopped...due to bullsnake problems...So I hope you get yourself those chickens you wish were yours! {: I love the title to your blog by the way. I used to be a stickcowgirl.....well, I used my mama's broom... Come back to visit me...blessings,Kathleen
Paula said…
This was such a cute post... and no, I don't think you sound like and old codger at all! I'm 39 and think "what is the world coming to" all the time! LOL
Ron said…
If you've never raised a chicken, try a bantam hen. We have an eight year old Black-tailed Jap that we hatched from an egg. She still lays on occasion, and has been a constant source of amusement. We live in the 'burbs, so she lives in a cage; but she loves to venture out into the garden every chance she gets. Life is short ... so do it! You can always let her go if you have to.
Anonymous said…
Hello again, I had forgotten about this post and upon your reminding me I read it again. Yes, that is a Khaki Campbell duck in your pictures.

I always find that reading or watching a video the second time is so helpful in getting the full message. I got it this time. Not really a post about chickens or ducks. I agree with you. Parents need to tell their children to 'Go outside and Play!'.
I made my kids go outside and play. We were lucky in that we lived in downtown Saint Augustine. Playing in that little town was fun for a kid growing up. They had the beach and downtown Saint Augustine that can only be appreciated if you have ever visited the old town. I used to have parents ask me, "How can you let children play outside"? My response was that children are supposed to play outside. I cannot imagine my childhood not being spent outside playing and discovering and I WILL NOT allow predators of children dictate my childs childhood spent inside out of fear. While I raised caring passionate children I also raised them to fight and stand up and make a scene when needed so they could go outside and play. I told them of the dangers and taught them to respond. Of course I was a stay at home Mom who cooked every meal and made homemade snacks and spent time paying attention and raising my children to be smart and happy. Many parents today are working and exhausted and don't know what to do about anything. TV's and other people are raising their children and they wonder who their children are. If you raise the child and pay attention to all it's needs then you know who the child is and when something is wrong even if they are not talking you know when to respond to them. Oh My I have ranted. Okay I will get off the soapbox and let someone else have a turn.....smile...
Have a great day everyone!

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by K: Whirlwinds of Change & a New Normal

C: A Chili Dog and Country Life

C: Lessons on a Bridge